09 May 2010

Inny or Outy?

Did you know there's another food recall? This time it's romaine lettuce in 23 states and again it's e-coli. Along with the notice came the advise to shop the center of the grocery store, buying canned and frozen veggies.  This is exactly what I try not to do, preferring fresh items without all the additives and preservatives. I prefer doing what other 'experts' advise: shopping outside the aisles and going along the perimeter of the store. In the summer, I hit the farmers markets.

Although I don't always make the energy and take the time, I do like to cook. As Zetta indicated in a comment to a recent post, not everyone likes to cook at all. I think wherever we get our daily nutrition, we need to be aware of what we're eating. I want to be aware to make wiser choices. I mean, I know I'm only going to live as long as I'm going to live, but while I'm here I want to reduce as much pain and discomfort as I can. And, one one to do that is to eat better, eat wiser. Now, to make these words part of my habit!

Over the Christmas holidays, I caught the author of Eat This Not That on a talk show. He was revealing how Yoplait yogurt can have as much sugar as a Milky Way bar, how a personal pan pizza from Pizza Una can be higher in fat and calories that a a large Papa Johns and more. I had to get his book! In addition to have pictures of good and not so good choices from a cross section of restaurants, he also compares grocery items and recommends healthy food items. There are several books in this series written by authors at Men's Health.

I guess we just have to work to gain the knowledge and decide what we feel is best for us. Inny or outy, which shall it be?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about the recall. Now, I know why I like Yoplait yoguart.

    I wanted a quick snack today. So I picked up a small bag of almonds. It would've been a healthy if not for all the salt. The package said salted but it should've said extra salted.

    ReplyDelete

We're not going to worry about being politcally correct here. But we will be polite. We're trying to save lives!