23 April 2010

Food Inc

The Food Inc website maintains links to numerous issues raised in the movie:
  • environmental impact
  • global food crisis
  • cloning
  • farm worker protection
  • diabetes and obesity
  • factory farming
  • pesticides
  • nutritional labeling on foods
Were you able to watch the movie  or visit any of the links on the NPR website? What issues spoke to you?

I didn't watch the entire show because I fell asleep. I did watch enough to motivate me to stop eating meat and I haven't eaten it since watching the show. I had given up most meat when I was in undergrad and was really on a healthy eating regimen. I maintained this practice for a while when my children were young, making their baby food, breast-feading, watching the labels on juices... But life gets complicated. Time gets demanding, money gets tight and McDonalds gets convenient. Honestly, I think I did pretty good by my children. They have very healthy attitudes toward nutition and exercise. Unfortunately, a 'healthy attitude' isn't enough to be healthy today!

I had a friend in Taiwan who was quite adamant about eating meat and one of her concern that the animals' fear and suffering would fester in their bones and muscles. Maybe. I know what I saw on Food Inc,.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I first learned of this film on Oprah--if you're trying to take baby steps, she's your girl! Michael Pollen was on her show, and he was explaining that you don't have to adopt an all or nothing POV--and I really liked the Stonyfield Organics guy talking about the upside of working with Walmart...I think it's really important to try to stay open and be flexible--and to forgive yourself when making a consumption choice that negatively impacts workers, animals, the environment...start small and do the best you can to stay informed so you can make a better choice next time. That's my goal, anyway. I only eat meat once or twice a week, and I could easily cut that down to once a week. I now also know that Chipotle practices humane slaughter--or buys meat from folks who do--so when I do eat meat, I can go there. There's a great vegan spot not far from me--I want to patronize them more often. It's like reprogramming your brain...it's entirely possible, you just have to pace yourself so that the changes are *sustainable*...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to share this link with you (she's a former student):

    http://healthygirlfriends.ning.com/forum/topics/fun-recipes?xg_source=facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zetta,
    I do think you're right about 'baby steps'. I don't want to do quite, temporary changes like dieting. I want to implement changes in my diet that are develop from greater awareness and a desire to be healthier. The meat think was kinda sudden after seeing the movie. I can't shake the image of those chickens.
    I think I found out about the practices at Chipotle on Oprah, but I've not eaten there. I'm trying to make myself cook more. I think prepare one's own food is about the best way to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete

We're not going to worry about being politcally correct here. But we will be polite. We're trying to save lives!